Jumpstart is recruiting now and accepting students with any availability between 8-5pm Monday-Friday. If you are interested in the Jumpstart corps member position, you can use the following link to apply to the program: www.jstart.org/apply.
WHAT IS JUMPSTART?
Jumpstart is a national organization that recruits college students to work with underprivileged children in urban preschool programs. Through Jumpstart, Rutgers–Camden students mentor preschool children in Camden to improve their literacy and social skills while gaining firsthand professional experience in education. The program uses reading and learning activities to narrow the school readiness gap and prepare children for kindergarten.
Students selected for Jumpstart AmeriCorps member positions have an opportunity to:
- Receive a Segal AmeriCorps Education Award of $1,200.00
- Earn 3 course credits towards their undergraduate degrees through our Literacy Practicum course with the Urban Studies department
- Earn wages through the Federal Work Study program, if applicable
- Receive professional development training in the field of childhood literacy and education, and
- Inspire children to develop a love of learning and help them succeed in school...and in life.
AS A JUMPSTART CORPS MEMBER, YOU WILL…
- Work 8 - 12 hours per week with a preschool child on reading, writing & social skills.
- Meet weekly with fellow Corps members to reflect on and discuss student progress
- Participate in special events to promote early childhood literacy and education.
- This is a great opportunity for anyone interested in childhood studies, education or sociology but all majors accepted!
Once more, you can complete an online application for the corps member position at www.jstart.org/apply.